Some people have mastered the art of waking up feeling refreshed in the morning, despite having busy lives. They meet the challenge of each new day with enthusiasm, being both energized and positive. Although it may seem that these lucky individuals are just born this way, the good news is that with a bit of planning and a shift in attitude anyone can learn to make their mornings happier. Here are five ways to start the day well:
- Get some sun: Draw the curtains immediately upon rising, and let the morning light energize you. Sunlight triggers two important changes in the brain. Firstly, it prompts a decrease in melatonin, sometimes known as the ‘sleepy hormone.’ Secondly, it encourages production of adrenaline. This boost jumpstarts both body and mind.
- Get a (healthy) sugar high: Sweet foods give an instant hit of energy, but can result in blood sugar dips later in the morning. Strike a balance by eating some slow-release carbohydrate such as oatmeal alongside a delicious drink of honey, lukewarm water and lemon. As a bonus, antioxidants in lemons may help your body fight off common infections.
- Stretch: Start the day with some stretches to wake up the body. When you exercise, your brain produces endorphins. These chemicals will give you a great feeling of wellbeing. Try some simple yoga stretches at first; there are plenty of free resources online that you can use to teach yourself.
- Plan ahead: Before going to sleep each night, make a detailed plan of the next day’s tasks. This way you begin each morning knowing that you have a sense of purpose and direction. This will bring down your stress levels and help you feel organized.
- Start with love: Begin the day by bonding with your children, partner or even pet. Whether through words or actions, show them the love and affection they deserve. Showing your appreciation will help keep your relationships strong and healthy, which will be of ongoing benefit to your mental health. Just taking the time to hug your spouse or share a joke with your child can lighten your mood in the morning.
Follow these tips and enjoy a healthier, brighter start to your day.